Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Marathoner

I've started training for a marathon! Well technically right now I'm only training for a half marathon but then the marathon will be next. You may be asking yourself "why would anyone ever want to run a marathon?" It all started with feelings of anxiety. Lately I have been feeling anxious and just overall crazy. So I thought what better way to whip myself into shape than to start intense training and cutting bad food out of my diet. I got completely mentally prepared before I started all of it, because I commited to myself that I would not quit after it got hard. So to make sure I could really commit to it, I prayed about it and asked for the strength to do it. Well it turns out even when you are mentally prepared, it still hurts! I really am getting the runner's high though so it really and truly makes the shaky legs, burning lungs, and runny nose worth it.

I say all of this because I would really like to blog my marathoning experience. I don't know that anyone really even cares, but I think at the very least people that read this might hold me accountable. You know, ask me if I ran my full 15 miles this week, etc.... (i've got 10 more miles for the week, but it is only Tuesday)

So far all I can really write about the experience is that it still hurts and I've got my work cut out for me! But boy howdy when I can cross that finish line several months from now and say "I just ran 26 miles!!!" It'll feel soooo good!!!

Oh and I found the best place to run. It kind of stinks because a lot of it is uphill but it's gorgeous. It is the Arbor Hills Nature Preserve and it really is a great place to run or ride your bike, etc....It's my happy place!

2 comments:

Bonniebeewester said...

Hey Tiffany!!! I found you through Kylea's blog. Way to go on the marathon! I ran my first 1/2 this past spring and I can't even describe how great it was. Seriously. It was awesome! All that hard work, discipline, running in the cold/rain, eating right...all was worth it when I could see the finish line. I hope it brings you the same sense of accomplishment as it did for me!

My one piece of advice: get the best possible running shoes. It made the WORLD of difference. I started training in some old Nike's I had...WRONG! Talk about knee pain, back pain, shin pain...ouch!!!

By the way, are you just training for a half first? Or are you running a full? Wow! Way to go!!!

Daniel and Tiffany said...

Yes I definitely need some good shoes! Any suggestions? I am just training for a half right now and will then use that as training for my full. I'm glad you found me, we need to catch up!